Subject: [Leica] Re: Filters for B&W
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 19:05:34 -0800

Filters are used to alter the quality of the light hitting the film. When
looking at a scene, whether using color or B&W film, you, as a
photographer, must judge what it is in the scene, that you want to alter.
If there is a blue sky, and you are using color film, you may want to use a
polarizer to make it deep blue. It will also eliminate the blueish cast on
green foliage. It has a similar effect on B&W by "cleaning-up foliage" and
darkening the sky. With B&W film, a yellow filter will make a blue sky
darker and make clouds a little whiter, and foliage a little darker. An
orange filter will do this, only a little stronger. A red filter will again
do this, only very strongly. A green filter will turn foliage and sky
nearly white. A light blue filter will turn a blue sky white and green
foliage lighter than normal, and is good for portraiture. A dark blue
filter can give you a moon scape look.

The summary of all of this, is... filters are as personal as film. Some
people like Velvia, some like E100SW, some like K64. In order to "like" a
particular film, you must have certain feelings about its palate, it's
graininess, etc. The filter you choose for a particular scene is as
personal as film. Or as personal as the camera and lens you choose. When
making a photograph, you should have some result in mind. This will
dictate, for you, which film, which filter, which lens, which camera...
etc. Do you want to increase contrast? Darken the sky? Lighten-up the
foliage? Separate the old barn wood from the peeling paint color? And the
list goes on forever.

There are only a few well established B&W filters. Red, orange, yellow,
green, yellow/green, blue. Various shades are provided by some
manufacturers, eg; light yellow, medium yellow, dark yellow, light red,
dark red, light blue, dark blue... etc... But they still accomplish the
same thing, just to a lesser or greater degree.

No one can possibly tell you how and when to use filters. This is part of
your own vision. Experiment with the basic colors for B&W photography and
develop your own style.

B+W, Heliopan, Tiffen, etc... all publish free booklets that explain the
actions of their various filters. This should give you a clue as to where
to start.

Jim

At 08:19 PM 11/10/98 -0500, it was written...