Subject: Re: [Leica] High end audio and photography analogies
From: "Jeff S" <segawa@netone.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 10:08:52 -0700

I dunno if the high end audio comparison really holds up too well, but if I
were to ask for the aural equivalent of an M system, it'd be this:

A mobile hifi the size of an average hardcover novel, maybe DVD or LP-only,
no frills, and 2-channel sound about as good as any mega system out there,
at least with headphones or smallish speakers. It'd have a volume control
and not much else. It'd cost a lot, but wouldn't really break or wear out
easily. The sonics would be such that, while you could talk about imaging,
frequency range, soundstage, bass slam or whatever, 'till you were blue in
the face, you wouldn't want to; you'd be too busy simply enjoying the music.
That, far from having 95% of your music collection rendered unlistenable,
you'd be able to listen THROUGH the technical flaws, and enjoy the
performance beyond, as if watching a live performance through a slightly
dirty window. What's more, you'd find yourself enjoying new types of music,
and actually would be eager to take the package along with you, as your
Walkman sat neglected.

If only my hifi were so good. If only my Leica were as well!! :-)

No, the closest parallel I've yet found is in shortwave radios: I favor the
Lowe HF-150 receiver: Small, spartan (only 2 knobs and 3 buttons) nicely
made, with some limitations, but capable of some very satisfying big-radio
performance. Fortunately, it's priced more like a Nikon N90 than an M6.

Jeff