Subject: Re: [Leica] Kyocera made zooms
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 15:27:01 +0000

At 10:33 PM 9/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>At 08:19 PM 1998-11-09 -0600, Bud Cook wrote:
>>Let's be clear about it.  I think Kyocera, not Zeiss make most of the Contax
>>lenses (whether or not Zeiss may design them).
>

>Well, not quite.  It is technically a Zeiss production line, though owned
>by Kyocera.  All of the final inspections are by Zeiss employees, NOT
>Kyocera employees.  These are assigned by Zeiss's Asian headquarters in
>Hong Kong, which has no other connexion with Kyocera.
>
>Kyocera insists on this arrangment, as they are afraid that the reputation
>of the lenses will be harmed if these lenses are perceived as having been
>"made by Kyocera".
>
>Marc

I have heard the same too, direct from a local importer.  To put it in a
different way, it is similar to having a big group of Japanese (or even
Hutus or Mayans as long as they are skilled) making the lenses in a German
plant.  All QC at each stage of the production would be inspected by Zeiss
people.

Dan K.