Subject: Re: [Leica] more APO-Telyt
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 1998 07:34:04 -0500

All,

Thought I'd chime in on the new Apo 135/3.4 M.

When I first read about this lens I was underwhelmed, conceptually. Not
fast. Weird (except for Leica) max. aperature. No eyes. Hmmm.

Thought about it a while. Bought an M6HM. Saw/played with the lens at
Photo Expo a week or so ago, and read Erwin's report.

Although an SLR has a decided advantage (particular for portraits) with
long lenses, the new lens is really slick. It "fits" on the M6 unusually
well. Optically unchallenged says Erwin. Just holding it on the HM
seemed so right that -- although I would rely on the R8 for much of the
shooting on which my career rests (due to the framing accuracy of the
R8's viewfinder vs. the M's) -- combined with the optical performance of
the new lens, it ranks very high on the "Fun To Have" list.

And Christmas is just around the corner. And my 40th birthday is
Christmas Eve. And my 10th Anniversary is next June. And....

Cheers,

David W. Almy
Annapolis, Maryland