Subject: Re: [Leica] Kyocera made zooms
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 22:33:38 -0500

At 08:19 PM 1998-11-09 -0600, Bud Cook wrote:
>Let's be clear about it.  I think Kyocera, not Zeiss make most of the Contax
>lenses (whether or not Zeiss may design them).

Well, not quite.  It is technically a Zeiss production line, though owned
by Kyocera.  All of the final inspections are by Zeiss employees, NOT
Kyocera employees.  These are assigned by Zeiss's Asian headquarters in
Hong Kong, which has no other connexion with Kyocera.

Kyocera insists on this arrangment, as they are afraid that the reputation
of the lenses will be harmed if these lenses are perceived as having been
"made by Kyocera".

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!