Subject: Re: [Leica] APO_Telyt 3,4/135 report (not for the weak of heart)
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 19:24:33 EST

I agree, great report.  I am not an optical engineer, but there are a
couple of points I am unlcear about.  The report compares the new 3,4/135
to a 4/135 Tele-Elmar of approximately 30 years of age.  I have read in
many publications that the most recent version of this lens is the same
optical design, and I do not doubt that this is true.  However, I own a
Tele-Elmar 4/135 from 1972 as well as the latest model purchased new in
1996.  Examining these lenses side-by side it appears that the front
element of the newer lens (with E46 filter size) is of slightly greater
diameter than the earlier model (of E39 filter size).  Moreover, it is
readily apparent from the colours reflected from the surface that the
coatings are also different.  My uncorroborated suspicion is also that
there may be different glass types used in these two "identical" lenses
manufactured nearly 25 years apart, not to mention that the older lens
was designed for the head to be removed to a Visoflex focussing mount,
whilst the new lens is collimated and then fixed solidly in its mount at
the factory.  My practical experience with these two lenses is that they
may be of identical optical design and the performance of the older one
is exemplary for a lens of its age; however the E46 version has a
noticeable improvement, particularly in detail sharpness toward the outer
edges (oweing perhaps to greater contrast from improvements to glass
and/or coatings) and also that the performance no longer suffers any
deterioration when stopped-down (at least to f16...I rarely shoot beyond
that) that Erwin mentions (and I concur from experience) is evident with
the older E39 version.  Given Erwin's results I would not hesitate to
trade up to the new 3,4/135 from the older Tele-Elmar; however I would
have to extrapolate those results to compare with the recently-demised
4/135 and my surmisal would have to be that the differences would be less
dramatic.

Regards,
Nigel

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998 16:44:55 -0500 "Thomas J. Donovan"
<75674.3465@compuserve.com> writes:
>Erwin Puts,
>
>First & foremost, another great report on a superlative
>lens.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]