Subject: Re: [Leica] Super-Angulon-R 1:3.4 21mm and R-6
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Sun, 08 Nov 1998 23:38:02 +0100

Jack F. Matlock wrote:

> I have just acquired the Super-Angulon-R f:3.4 21mm (the one
> originally built for the Leicaflex I with the mirror up).  Some
> references (e.g., Leica R Compendium) state that it can be used
> with no other camera.

Jack,

You can use it with ALMOST all Leica M camera together
 with the R to M adaptor 22228 or 22228/500934.
Never use it with the Leica CL and send the adaptor to Leica first,
if you want to use it with the M5.
With later M6s (1976 en after) the top flange of the M bayonet of the
adaptor have also to be modified (cut).

> However, I have been told that it can be used with the R-6 (with
> the mirror up, of course, and no metering).  Does anyone know
> for sure if this is the case?

I don't think so.
If I remember well, the mirrors of the R6/R6.2/R7 and R8 don't stay
up between the two shots even in the mirror up position..

> I realize I have to use a
> separate viewfinder, focus by the scale, and meter separately,
> but I do not want to try to mount the lens on my R-6 unless I am
> sure that it will do no damage to the camera.

Lock the mirror without lens and look what happen when you fire
the camera.

Lucien