Subject: Re: [Leica] interesting magazine article
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 22:49:34 -0800

Doug Herr wrote:

> Outdoor Photographer's November 1996 issue featured the work of the
> Japanese wildlife photographer Mitsuaki Iwago.  This particular article has
> several of his photographs of african lions which IMHO are worth looking up
> the magazine.

I saw that article and the reproduction (on my copy at least) was so
terrible you would never buy a Leica based on the pix.  I hope someone
else had a better copy.  Another issue of the magazine had a cover photo
I really liked, but reproduction also bad, yet blurb said shot with a
Leica 180.  So I looked the photographer up in the ASMP membership list
and called him.  He said "thanks for calling, I've been just sick about
the cover.  I send them a marginal quality dupe and told them if they
wanted to use it to let me know and I'll send the original.  Well, I
finally called and they said don't worry we used the one you sent and it
looks fine."  He says he uses long glass Canon for the autofocus, but
never shoots backlight with it, only with L.

All this made me wonder if they were intentionally messing up the
reproduction.  No, they wouldn't do that, would they?  I did sometime
later see a book by Iwago and it didn't look much better--not an
advertisement for Leica.

donal
- --
Donal Philby