Subject: [Leica] Re: Rokkor 28 and first/ second generation Leica Elmarit 28
From: cummer@asiaonline.net
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 1998 13:13:34 +0800

>And on the subject: Just how much better is the 28mm Elmarit-M compared to
the
>M-Rokkor 28mm f2.8 built for the CLE?
>Mike

Dear Mike, I bought my first Rokkor 28 with my first CLE new in 1980. It
was a very sharp lens but in about two years or so of use in tropical
Singapore, the glue holding the front elements together started to break
down - evidenced by white spots inside the lens - and I had to have the
front lens assembly replaced by Minolta in Hong Kong at a cost of about
US$40. This was a standard repair in the price list of repairs and was
fairly common - I guess. Anyway, I progressed to a 28 Elmarit, 1969 first
version and shot a test roll of Black and White, using a tripod, and as I
recall it there was little or no difference between the two lenses. Later I
traded the 1969 Elmarit for a 1975 second version and then I shot some
Extachrome slide film (100ASA) to check out the two lenses and my recall is
that there was little difference in colour contrast or details at medium
apertures - but the Elmarit was sharper wide open. I have now owned three
units of the Rokkor 28 (I like the size) - the two earlier units developing
the lens separation mentioned above - and my most recent specimen also
starting to show some spots around the edge of the front element.  The most
recent model doesn't seem to be as sharp wide open as the Elmarit and the
contrast is lower. This may be because of the individual lens. In my view,
28mm Rokkors are selling in the US$700 - 800 range, and older Elmarits are
selling for not much more, I would buy an older Elmarit, because a) there
seems to be less problem with element separation (based on my individual
experience), b) Leica lens hoods and caps are available, and c) for those
who dare the 40.5mm filter size for the Rokkor is very hard to find. THe
28mm Rokkor hood has become very collectable - Wall Street Camera has
(had)them for about US$80 and Don Chatterton was recently asking about
US$250 for the unit he had - and in my experience, 40.5mm lens caps are
simply not available. OTH if I were to find a Rokkor at a garage sale for
$50 - I wouldn't pass it up either.
My $.02
Best Regards
Howard Cummer