Subject: Re: [Leica] R focusing ring
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 07:56:49 -0600

>Someone said me the focusing ring of new R - lenses are
>not metal but some kind of rubber?

Some. And some early ones had a bit of a problem coming off in extreme
heat. I had one come off a 35 Summilux R. But there are advantages to it.
Fingers don't stick as easily in extremely cold weather. More comfortable.
My 70-180 2.8 has it, and I like them. Though as Ted points out, it would
be nice if zoom and focus rings had different textures. I'm sure it's
something Leica could easily replace. I was able to replace the rubber ring
on my 35 Summilux R myself.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

"While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us
nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in
which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see."

                 Dorothea Lange