Subject: [Leica] Projection
From: Bob_Maxey@mtn.3com.com
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 1998 13:05:47 -0700

>>I want to simplify the process of viewing (Leica) slides at home.
>>Collapsible screens are fine, but the hassle of erecting them and moving
>>the furniture (often minor, I concede)  can be a disincentive to some.  A
>>semi-permanent set-up would be very acceptable.
>>
>>One obvious solution is to fit to the wall a folding screen which you
pull
>>down when needed.  Another could  be  to paint the wall.  This is where I
>>would be grateful for comments and advice from anyone who has tried this
>>potentially  anti-social solution.   Not everyone wants one wall  (or
part
>>of it) in their living-room to be white.

Having installed a number of projection systems in the past, including my
own, I think I can help you. If you want top quality, A permanent
installation is the only choice. Unfortunately, white paints are not
necessarily the way to go, and I would suggest a silver Lenticular (or
other silver type surface) screen. Make sure it can be tensioned to remove
wrinkles.

Paint suitable for use as projection surfaces can be any white paint, but
it will not reflect as well as a silver screen. You might consider a
ceiling mounted pull down screen as well.

>>Assuming that paint is used:

>>   a]  What version of white should it be?  Modern paint catalogues show
>>forms of     white ranging from snow to dairy cream.  This is not meant
to be
>>a silly      question.  Some screens are in silver after all.

Ice Box white, pure white and other bright whites are suitable if you need
to paint, but remember, quality will suffer. Eastman Kodak makes an optical
white paint, but it is expensive and would cost you a fortune to use. I
think it works out to about a grand a gallon. Rosco also makes white paints
as well.

>>   b]  What finish works best?  I personally find screens with a beaded
>>finish too   bright  for those sitting in the centre, and too dim for
those
>>at the sides. So  perhaps a matt finish?

I do not use glass beads type screens as they do discolor over the years. I
suggest you stay away from them. The problem is in all the smoke, cooking
oil and grease. dust and other things that will degrade performance.
Setting up the projector properly helps eliminate the differences in how
bright the image is. Remember, you are never going to completely eliminate
the problem.

My best advice is first, consider if it is to be a temporary install or a
permanent one, and that will help determine your options.

Incidentally, my last personal setup was a custom made large Lenticular
screen, stereo sound system and 4 synchronized 35MM projectors, 2
synchronized Hasselblad projectors, a pair of stereo projectors and motion
picture projection for 35MM release prints. Forgetting all of the
equipment, the single most important part of the system was the projection
surface.

Bob