Subject: [Leica] Helicopters, Hasselblads and Leicas (long)
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 19:54:55 -0800

Flights last week continued my adventure and education in aerial
photography. I sure do enjoy that two million dollar tripod - a Coast Guard
Dolphin helicopter.

Our mapping transects are getting farther away, so the new technique is to
set up the Hasselblad ELM as completely as possible, fly to an air field
closest to our first sight and land briefly. With turbines still running,
it takes me three or four minutes to pull the camera mount out the open
door, strap it and myself down and take off again. Temperatures got down to
freezing above mountains on one flight. I suppose the wind chill makes it
considerably lower, but I wear an insulated deck suit that has kept me cozy
so far.

I love the landings at the remote fields. Inland we landed at the tiny
settlement called Ruth, flying along the Ruth Lake Reservoir first. Other
landings were at Crescent City (80 miles north of Eureka) and  Shelter Cove
(50 miles south). Both are small airstrips with approaches over open ocean
near rocky cliffs. With the side door open on takeoff, I have been taking
some shots with the Leica. Last week, I mainly took along a handy CL with
35mm Summicron and 90mm Elmarit. With Velvia, a typical exposure looking
straight down is 1/500th at f2.8. Oblique shots get about a stop less
light, so I usually go to 1/1000th. I also took up a Graphlex XL once with
6x7 roll film back and got a few photos with it out the open door.

We used about 50 Leica slides when Commander Bob Durfey spoke to about 70
guys at our church Men's Fellowship dinner last Monday. With shots of the
air base, crews, helicopters and in-flight scenery, they established the
kind of job Bob does heading up Group Humboldt Bay. His talk was inspired,
using the analogy of "rescuer" in his work to the Rescuer who can save our
souls. In all his search and rescue missions, Bob said he had yet to see
anyone refusing to get in the hoist basket as their boat was going down! If
only people were as willing with the Lord, he added.

I printed six Leica slides on 11x14 Cibachromes as appreciation for all the
help from the friendly air and ground crews. Much to my delight, they are
going to frame and display them in the entrance to the air station. These
"Coasties" are really impressive people. My flights in the sunshine are a
piece of cake for them, but the real test is in the wild weather they
operate in when people are in trouble. Just last week, the base hosted a
memorial for three helicopter crews that have been lost off of our
Northcoast. One was in 1964, but two others have gone down just in the last
couple of years, flying the same Dolphin class aircraft.

Then this Saturday, a woman was swept into the sea off of Big Lagoon, just
15 miles north of the air station. Visiting our coast for the first time,
she did not realize how dangerous the waves and tides were. She was
collecting rocks and turned her back on the ocean, something you learn to
never do around here. A wave washed her out. Her daughter nearly went after
her but was restrained by a local person or she would have surely been
lost, too. The Coast Guard helicopter arrived in a few minutes, but the
rescue swimmer was injured by debris in the waves.

So Kevin Kleckner, the co-pilot, volunteered to go in. I had just flown
with him two days before - in fact, we had circled his house in Eureka just
a few blocks from mine to take some photos. Down in the water, he was able
to put the woman in the rescue basket, then he and the swimmer were several
minutes in open ocean until another Dolphin was able to hoist them aboard.
Unfortunately, the woman died at the hospital shortly after. This is not
the California coast you see on Baywatch, and it rarely gives second
chances to those who do not understand its danger.

Back to photography, the 1000' altitude stereo shots with the Hasselblad
have been stunning. I am learning to use a stereo viewer with the
transparencies on the light table. Tall redwoods seem to just about poke
you in the eye and I almost fall into the depths of 3D mountain gorges
below. Mostly I have been shooting Ektachrome 100 Plus, and the exposure is
really dialed in perfectly now. The 80mm/f2.8  Zeiss Planar T* is serving
very well at f4, resolving colors beautifully, with sharpness degraded just
a tiny bit by vibrations, even at 1/500th. But we can still count the
branches on weathered snags below, so nobody is complaining.

If the weather holds, we'll be doing three more flights next week. I'm
really looking forward to the one to Point Arena, almost an hour flight
south of Eureka. I believe that is where they filmed the final scenes from
the "Forever Young" movie with Mel Gibson landing his B25 bomber near the
lighthouse.

Sure has been a fun way to use Leicas and Hasselblads!

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger