Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 08:16:15 -0600

>I bought a used, mint Noctilux last week, latest 1.0 version, and ran a
>roll of Koday Royal Gold 400 through it this week The subject was 3 feet
>from me and all of the pictures of same were blurry. If this was not due
>to incorrect focusing in the M6 viewfinder, was this because I am
>unaware of the true minimum focusing distance at f 1.0? IOW, what is the
>true minimum and maximum depth of field allowance at f 1.0? Thanks!>>>>>>

Hi SP,

At that distance <<<The subject was 3 feet from me and all of the pictures
of same were blurry.>>>>>> the depth of field is about "nada!" :) Like
nothing, el zippo! :)
<<<<<<<<<<<

Per the Depth-of-Field Calculator at http://www.serve.com/ballen/DOF.html
the DOF of a 50 mm lens at f/1.0 and 3 feet is 2.969 feet to 3.031 feet, or
0.062 feet, which is about 3/4 of an inch. Fairly miniscule.

By comparison, DOF of an 85 mm lens at f/1.4 (and I shoot reguarly with the
AF Nikkor version of this lens on an FM2) at 3 feet is 2.985 feet to 3.014
feet, or 0.029 feet, which is about 1/3 of an inch. Even more miniscule.

I've not shot with a Noctilux (though I really, really want to!). But I
have taken many succesfully focused photos with my 85 mm lens wide open at
3 feet (I've also taken many not focused pictures under those conditions;
I've found subject movement a bigger problem than focusing). And the
numbers suggest the Nocti should be marginally more forgiving.

Larry