Subject: [Leica] Death of darkroom? was print techniques
From: "Boreham" <boreham@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 05:52:07 -0000

Bob Maxey wrote:-
                                                               I do not see
traditional methods
> disappearing too soon, but it seems to be headed that way. Less and less
> people in the dark and less and less materials available from Kodak makes
> me wonder if one day, we will have just a few papers available.

There is an article in our UK mag Amateur Photographer last week saying
that the opposite is happening. It was based on interviews with Kodak
Ilford Paterson Nova etc, all reporting increased sales of darkroom
equipment, particularly upmarket equipment, fibre paper etc
Some  quotes:

"It seems the darkroom may be gaining recruits from the many people who
were lured by the creative potential of digital imaging but were
disappointed by the experience."

"People don't get the same buzz from making a digital print as they do from
a conventional one."

"I work on a computer all day. The last thing I want to do when I get home
is sit at another one. I want to get in the darkroom and create something
with my own hands."

Professional/journalistic needs of speed and transmission are a different
matter, but for fine art and hobbyists the future may not be too bleak.

Mike