Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Discussion
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 13:31:12 -700

On 29 Oct 98, Dan Post wrote, at least in part:

<snip>

> I think that  those who
> have 'it' are able to show us even mundane, banal objects in such a way as
> we would never think to look on our own.

Exactly! That ability to show the mundane in an interesting
different way is a constant source of fascination to me.

I organized a 'Mundane Shoot' in a local camera club some 8 mos.
ago. For a venue I picked a building and immediate surrounding
grounds that we all spend time in frequently and take for granted.
The goal, obviously, was to photograph the area in a way that
would be interesting to the club members viewing the resultant
slides.

The usual apathy held, and all of 7 members showed up for the
shoot. We dutifully did our thing, and, to my not complete
surprise, none of the photos did what I knew could be done with
the venue, mine included. A few were worthy shots, but not all
that good. I have a couple of cronies on the Subminiature List
that I know, with their Minoxi, would have turned up some
memorable shots. I've seen what they can accomplish with
subject matter like fence posts with detritus and dead arthropods
underneath.

My coping mechanism for dealing with my lack of talent is to
reason that without my/our ability to appreciate the talent of
others, their talent would only be known to them.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     When a public offical accepts a gift,