Subject: [Leica] Obsession of sharpness...
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 14:58:02 -0500

Lets face it....  There is sharpness and there is not sharp....  there is
fuzzy and there is soft.  There is shallow depth of field and there is
out of focus.

Not sharp, fuzziness and out of focus more often come from bad technique
than lens resolution.   Landscapes that show camera movement or
enlargements where the film grain goes from sharp to out of focus due to
a bad enlarging lens or alignment are well..... just plain awful.
Anymore equipment is good enough that stuff shouldn't be all that soft
unless you really buy a cheap 28-200 zoom etc.

I've found my wide open M images are slightly out of focus more often
than the images from my other cameras due to the goofy rangefinder.  I'm
not able to follow focus well enough to keep stuff tack sharp.   It's
usually not too bad unless the ears are sharper than the eyes and yow
does that look bad......  Some subjects look better if a bit soft (old
ladies and rainy days) others (landscapes on a sunny day) just look wrong
if they aren't sharp.

But.... I'm with Tina.... The M is a niche camera that under certain
situations is unbeatable and without competition. Of course for other
situations it just can't cut the mustard or butter with a hot knife as
they say in certain parts........

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador