Subject: Re: [Leica] Mythology v Reality - A Call For A Thoughtful Di
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:22:42 -0500

Paul-
I recently obtained a 1937 90/4 Elmar, and shot a roll of E100S. I used a
resolution target and gray scale, then examined the slides under a
microscope at 40x. I compared newer Canon, Jupiter, and Steinheil lenses,
the Elmar seemed to be the best as far as definition- which I construe as a
combination of contrast and sharpness, and the ability, in this case, to
read the small print on the target- not just the lines.
I was amazed at the performance of a 60 year old uncoated optic. I am not
ashamed to use this old war-horse at all, and so I tell the little little
devil to 'get thee behind me...' and I merrily pursue the older stuff as
well!
Now, I wouldn't sneer if She Who Must Be Obeyed said I could get a 35
Summilux ASPH, but I am quite happy with the 'old stuff'
Dan
dwpost@msn.com