Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-Elmarit
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 10:07:26 EST

Ser # is from 1969; the "thin" Tele-Elmarit was released in 1974.  The
"fat" one such as yours dates from '64-'74; you can recognise it by the
focussing ring which is "scalloped" as opposed to the later "thin"
version which has a smooth ring with fine ribbing throughout.  If you had
the two next to one another the size difference would also be apparent.
The "thin" version is haradly bigger than a 50 Summicron.  I have both
versions (my "fat" one is chrome).   By f5.6 there's precious little
difference (if any at all) bewteen them.  As with most revisions, the
wide apertures show the most improvement.  Incidentally, the lens head of
my "fat" Tele-Elmarit (but not the "thin" one) unscrews from the
focussing mount.  I've only seen reference to the [non-tele] Elmarit
doing this.  Does anyone know if the same Viso focussing mount will work
with this lens head?

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998 20:27:26 -0500 Dave Myers <myers@bluelake.org>
writes:
>Hello...
>
>OK, I'm pretty confused.  Fat, thin, and original Tele-Elmarit...
>along
>with the Elmarit-M (in two versions?).  How many all together?  Mine
>is
>a Tele-Elmarit (Leitz Canada) SN 2344xxx.  Fat, thin, or original?
>And
>what year.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Dave

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]