Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Elmar as enlarger lens
From: leica@olemiss.edu
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 07:41:40 -0600

>You wrote 14:24:24 -0500

>In one of the past Leica Users Digests I saw a note about using the 50mm SM
>Elmar as an enlarger lens. Was this really done and did Leica endorse doing
>this? Which enlarger was suggested to use? I ask because I enjoy the
>history of
>the Leica camera and any unusual uses of the equipment.
>Thanks,
>Tim

Tim,

In all the early Leica manuals it was assumed that anyone buying a Leitz
enlarger would use his Leica camera lens in it.

More recently, W.D.G. Cox looked at the performance of some camera lenses
(including an Elmar 2.8/50) when used in an enlarger: "At f4 showed  the
camera lenses showed good central sharpness. The enlarging lens (a four
element type) at its full aperture of f4.5 showed poor performance overall,
just adequate for focusing centrally, and with severe vignetting, which was
completely absent from all the camera lenses by f4. By f8 all the lenses
were giving good image quality across the frame, the Elmar being the best,
with the enlarging  lens  slightly softer in the corners."

The best enlarging lenses such as Leitz Focotar, of course, perform better
than any of these.

Cheers,
Kirk Turk