Subject: Re: [Leica] Use 135mm Anymore?
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 17:18:27 EST

Pardon me for intruding...I have the Hektor, 1st M-Elmar (there was an
LTM Elmar way, way back in the 30's) and both early and late versions of
the Tele-Elmar.  The Elmar has a wonderful feature: a tripod bush.  Very
nice for slow-speeds...the Leica's off-centre bush is not very hospitable
to the cantilevering of these 135's.  It's also a quite good performer,
even wide open.  But the Tele-Elmars are certainly the best of the lot
and unless you need the removable lens head for bellows work, I'd
certainly go with the latest version.  It is a delightful lens and has
the aperture ring toward the body which makes it a nice hold.  Perhaps
now that the 135 f3.4 APO is here, there will be some late-model T.E.'s
out there at good prices.  I truly can't imagine how human eyes could
detect any betterment to the f4.  It has long been considered one of the
best M lenses wide open with little or no improvement in stopping down.
I think probably the new 135 is meant to replace both the f4 and f2.8
lenses..but if the 2.8 needed a 1.5x magnifier to focus it accurately
with the .72 viewfinder (a total of 1.08x) I am slightly skeptical
whether one can get accurate enough focus at f3.4 with this lens even on
an HM, to exploit what must be a *very* subtle improvement over the f4.

Regards,
Nigel
On Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:23:59 -0500 Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
writes:
>At 01:28 PM 10/27/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I have three 135mm M lenses (Elmar, Tele-Elmar, first Elmarit)
>>Marc
>>

>Hi, Marc -
>
>I don't have a 135 yet but am thinking about it.  Which of these do
>you
>prefer?  Thanks,
>
>Tina
>Tina Manley, ASMP
><http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
><http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>
><http://members.tripod.com/~Tina_Manley/>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]