Subject: Re: [Leica] Questions about buying an M6
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 07:49:47 +0100

Jeff,

> 1. Is the 0.85 a significant improvement in viewfinder size? What would does
> it give up over the "regular" M6?

Yes, with the longest lenses (90 & 135mm). You give up the 28mm frameline and
the 35mm one can be difficult to see.

> 2. Other than appearance, any benefits of the chrome or titanium finished
> over the black?

Chrome keeps looking better longer. My M3 from 1959 looks flawless.

> 3. Which lenses would you recommend to start? I assume one of the 35mm, but
> which one? Same for a 90mm. Weight is important, but so is flexibility in
> light conditions (and cost!).

This depends on the kind of pictures you take. But if weight is important, then
in 35mm I would recommend the f2 Summicron ASPH or the latest non-ASPH
Summicron. The extra stop of the Summilux comes at a hefty price in $ and
weight. For 90mm, you could go with the 2.8 Elmarit, very sharp lens. If you
think you need the extra stop, then I suggest waiting for the new 90mm Summicron
announced at Photokina and available sometime at the end of Q1 99. Or you could
go with the 75mm Summilux.

> 4. Dealers. I live in the western Boston suburbs, but would consider buying
> through the mail if the dealer is reputable and the price is very good. What
> should I expect to pay?

Buy from the reputable mail order dealers in NYC, they cannot be beat on price.
For example, B&H Photo, Smile Photo or Adorama. B&H has a good web page,
www.bhphotovideo.com.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman