Subject: [Leica] RE: Xray machines: 120 film
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 17:29:07 -0800

Good grief NO!!!

It's a magnetometer and detects metal passing within it's magnetic field.
Metal moving through, disrupts the magnetic flux, which is detected by very
simple electronics (more electronics in an R8 than this) and the buzzer
goes off. Think of it as about 1 / billionth of the flux field produced in
an MRI. Totally harmless to nearly everything. Maybe not to very very
sensitive magnetically recorded data. Certainly not film.

Jim

At 05:08 PM 10/26/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Careful.  People I've talked with who profess to know have told me that the
>walkthrough metal detector is far more lethal to film than the bag scanner
>that sits right next to it.  Can anyone confirm this?
>Kevin Hoffberg

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access