Subject: [Leica] Re: 35 mm R Summilux vs. Summicron
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 16:59:19 EST

This reminded me of one of my favourite cameras, the Horseman VHR, which
I had the pleasure of using for a brief period some years ago.  Not as
magnificently finished as a "baby" Linhof, but about half the cost, the
VHR was a small folding technical field camera with a ground-glass back,
limited but entirely adequate tilt/shift movements, and provision for 6x7
or 6x9 rollfilm holders.  It had three extraordinarily sharp lenses (made
by Topcon) of 65, 105 and 180mm lengths set in Seiko shutters.  Best of
all, each lens had its own (separate) cam which inserted into the bedrail
and coupled it to a top-mounted rangefinder and viewfinder with
framelines.  It worked equally as well handheld as on a tripod with a
focussing cloth.   Unfortunately the camera went off with the person who
owned it and I have not since had the spare change lying about whenever
I've come across one second-hand.  Horseman have since discontinued this
model in favour of a similar body but without the rangefinder.

BTW...speaking of Horseman...they now make view-camera conversions ( a
bellows with rise/fall/tilt/shift which attaches to camera body and takes
LF lenses, barrel or LS) for several 35mm and MF mounts...*including*
(are you ready for this one?)  the VISOFLEX!  See
http://www.horsemanusa.com for details.

Regards,
Nigel
On Sun, 25 Oct 1998 10:54:07 -0800 Jim Brick <jim@brick.org> writes:
>Hi Akhil,
>
>I use a 4x5 Linhof Technika for my landscapes. Over the years, I've
>owned a
>couple of Hasselblad systems, including a Superwide. But my heart is
>in
>4x5. I use my Leica R equipment mainly for my wife's and my book
>business.
>My photographs (regional - so it is basically 'scape stuff) and her
>recipes
>(Scenic Cookbooks of San Francisco, Carmel/Monterey, and now Napa
>Valley
>Wine Country) and we also are working on other types of books as well.
>But
>for a personal carry around camera, it's an M6, and for fine art
>landscape
>and still life type stuff, it's 4x5.
>
>I enjoyed using my Hasselblads when I had them. I was working as a
>commercial photographer at that time. If I were to buy a MF camera
>today,
>it would be between the Rollei 600x and the Hasselblad. But for me
>right
>now, 35 & 4x5 is enough.
>
>Many thanks for the comments,
>
>Jim
>

>At 01:04 PM 10/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>Hi Jim,
>>         Just a short note to thank you for your comments last week
>on
>>this topic.
>>         I, too, own the Summicron R (in fact I have both versions)
>but
>>was hoping to upgrade to the Summilux.
>>         By the way, if you like to do landscapes, may I suggest you
>try a
>>Hasselblad, say a Superwide ? The images will put to shame any 35mm
>>system and SW is not that much heavier than an R + lens.
>>        					Regards,
>>                                                Akhil

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]