Subject: Re: [Leica] Airport X-RAY report
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:23:27 -0500

I fly absolutely as little as I can, perhaps once every ten or fifteen
years, so my own personal experience is meaningless.

But the few Big Time Professional types I know seem to tell their client to
have the appropriate film in-country when they fly there, taking no film
with them.  They do the shoot, then tell the client it is their
responsibility to have the film processed in-country.  This probably
wouldn't work in a lot of the third world, but it works perfectly well in
most developed nations, ranging from South America to Asia to Europe.

My last flight was three years back (thank heavens, by the odds I can avoid
travel for another decade, at least!), to Toronto.  I did take a couple of
rolls of 120 Ilford film and had no problems getting this hand-checked at
Dulles.  (I did have my passport along, the sole time in which I've used
this instrument, and a damned good thing, too:  they were in the midst of a
Bomb Scare, so I got waved to the front of the line at all four airports I
went through.)

But, then, I took only a single camera with me (a Super Ikonta B), and had
that over my shoulder.

One major reason why I hate flying is that I set off every metal detector
within a zillion miles, as I am a metal-heavy sort of guy:  I have metal
pens, metal pins, metal spurs in my shoes, metal zippers, metal
belt-buckles, metal buttons, metal pipe-lighter (and a metal band on a
couple of my pipes!), metal car keys, metallic-core pipe cleaners, metal
book-marks, and so forth.  Now, I cheerfully admit that I hate, absolutely
despise, all travel, but I REALLY despise the fact that I so intensely set
off metal detectors that I get flattened to the ground by wary security
guards which results in my being strip-searched by Green Beret and
Spetznatz types.  My acid tongue and ready wit never help, either:  these
guys are of the humourless variety who react to me with the sort of horror
which afflicted most of my High School teachers.

Erwin is flying home from the US as I write this:  I will be curious about
his reactions!

And, then, there WAS the time that a group of us Scotsmen met a clan chief,
all of us decked out in the appropriate and metal-laden garb.  My chipper
remarks got me threatened with Imminent Arrest, which would have been
professionally embarrassing, as I do a lot of criminal defence work in the
local Federal court ...

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!