Subject: [Leica] JIM MARSHALL WEB SITE COMMENTS
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 08:54:38 -0700

B.D. Colen wrote:

>Forgive me - But I followed the URL Hans provided and, in addition to
>finding stunning photos, found the following information - I've underlined a
>couple of things...:>>>>>>>>

Hi folks,
Before I reply I'd like to thank Hans even though I missed his original
post on Jim Marshall's web page, BD for asking the questions and Thib for
including the web address in his post this morning.

For those who have not taken the time and want to see what I mean when I say,

         _________"Real Photographers Shoot B&W!"_________

It's a very good idea you take the time! This is the epitome of recognizing
the "value of existing light & reacting to the moment" regardless of where
that moment takes place.

BD's questions and comments:
>There is something about Jim Marshall's work that invites praise and prompts
>questions about his technique.>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<What sort of equipment does he rely on?>>>>>>

Well used M4's by the look of them. Please note he is truly a user and not
a keeper of shiny new looking boxes. :)

<<<<<< What film? What lens?>>>>>

Tri-X rated at 800 under the conditions of where the web pictures were taken.

<<<<<"What lens?"  By the look of the M cameras lying in a pile on the web
site, a 21 and others! A quote from the site:

<<" He's been seen with five cameras around his neck at one time. This is
made possible, of course, by the small size of the cameras, but made
necessary by the way he handles lenses.>>>>>>

My kinda photographer! :)  I hate changing lenses and would much rather
carry a half dozen cameras with attached lenses at the same time, than
screw around changing lenses and watching the motivating moment disappear
before my eyes!

<<<<<<And most commonly, what does he do to get such razor-sharp
>pictures?>>>>>>>

He focuses very quickly and carefully and because he keeps the same lens
attached to the same body has something to do with it.

>Good pictures are the sum of their good parts; plenty of practice, good
>tools, and the gift of sight.>>>>>>>>

Gift of sight, as seeing the motivating moment, coupled with surgical
reaction time to releasing the shutter.

>Practice. Perhaps the most important aspect of Marshall the photographer is
>his sheer willingness to be a photographer. Marshall never goes anywhere
>without a camera over his shoulder.>>>>>>

And I'd venture to say, "he never worries about filters nor lens caps and a
tiny dust on the lens!"

<<<<<<<When he walks down the street to go to dinner, he has a camera. In
the car, he has a camera. While running errands, in bars, in client's
offices, he has a camera. He wears them like other people wear shoes, and
not just as a prop - if there's available light, he grabs at least three or
four frames of whomever he's with.>>>>>>>>>>>

Well with an M6 it's a piece of cake. Once you become used to putting on
your clothes before you go out, it's the same thing with the camera, you
become used to it and feel "Naked" without it hanging on your shoulder, no
matter where you go.

>Tools. Making this attitude easier is Marshall's choice of equipment-
>available light, and a simple Leica M-4 range finder. This small, silent,
>compact package with no light meter, no mirrors, no batteries, no auto
>anything and no wysiwyg view through the lens is Marshall's only tool. When
>asked why he prefers Leicas over all other cameras, he becomes
>uncharacteristicly tongue-tied. "They just feel right. They're an extension
>of me, like an old sweater.">>>>>>>>>>

You can't say it any better than that! :)

<<<<<<A feel for people is required,for emotion and movement, but
ultimately, choosing the moment makes the shot,>>>>>>>>

The operative sentence!

<<<<<<You can't shoot without complete confidence in your equipment.">>>>>>>

And that's the kind of confidence you should have when using the Leica's, M
or R!  I use the meters and shoot when the little red lights go on as I
have total confidence in what the camera meteris telling me, "Ok press
button now!" :)

>Usually, Marshall arrives at a shoot without an assistant. He brings a light
>only under duress, then one light with a diffusion umbrella seems to
>suffice. A few years ago, Marshall showed up at author Alice Walker's home
>for an assignment. He had been hired to do some shots for an ad in the New
>York Times. The art director took one look at him and panicked. "Where are
>your lights?! Where's your assistant? Your stylist? Your set? WHERE is your
>equipment!? ">>>>>>>>>>

You see this is one cool photographer, never mind all the BS showmanship
"look here I am with my big entourage of a crew etc." (actually the crews
most often set everything) and then the "big showman" steps in, looks
through the view finder and says, "smile!"  CLICK! :)

Not my style baby. Like Jim Marshall I like to just float in and quietly do
my thing with no fanfare and certainly no extra lightingunles it is
absolutely necesary. It has only been the past few years that I have an
assistant with me, but even then she stays well in the background.

You see, what he does is understand light and "relating to other people's
feelings" and I believe that is something you have or don't. Yes you can be
polite, but that isn't getting inside the subject making them feel
comfortable. Simply because you are comfortable yourself and you transmit
that because you just have an inner confidence. Like they say, "Be cool
baby!"

<<<<<<Instead, Marshall and Walker sat on the back porch, talking. Jim took
pictures. Alice liked them so much, she asked to use one on her next book
jacket.>>>>>>

You see? That's what I mean about cool! :)

>On the subject of his style, Marshall says, "I really hope that when people
>look at my work they say, " That's a nice photograph of Alice Walker," not
>"That's a nice Jim Marshall.">>>>>>>>

And that's what it's really all about!!!!!!

This site of Jim Marshall's is great to keep book marked as it's being
regularly updated and it can only get better and better.

Thanks to Hans, BD and Thib for making it known to the LUG who are into B&W!.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant