Subject: [Leica] Re:Color Film Recommendations
From: drodgers@nextlink.net
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 14:10:57 -0700

Rick

>>You wrote:

>>Don't you guys find Royal Gold 100 really harsh in high contrast light?
>>For people pics, I have not been happy with it combined with my new 50
>>Summicron-M.

I do most of my own color printing and I don't find Royal Gold 100 to be
particularly harsh. It has become my standard for general use. I like Reala
too, but it was hard to get for a while so I got away from it. I usually
have one standard film and I'll try others off and on. RG100 is my standard
color negative film. Tri-X is my standard b/w film.

There are so many good films. I keep lots of other film in my freezer. No
one film can do it all. I use PMC for portraits and for low light
photography. I just tried some Fuji 800 and I was very impressed. I may
switch to that for low-light. Lately I've been comparing Delta 100 and
Agfapan APX100. I always have a couple of rolls of Tech Pan, TMZ and High
Speed Infrared on hand, though I don't use them a great deal. TMZ usually
ends up getting fogged if I buy more than 10 rolls at once. Lately I've
been shooting a lot more chrome film. I really like E100SW.

Favorite films, like favorite equipment, can vary  depending on a person's
style and environment. Processing is a key variable. It's difficult to
assess negative films without involving whomever is doing the printing.
Papers and processing methods differ from lab to lab. Back when I sent
everything out I asked the person who printing at my lab which film he
prefered that I use. He said VPS. That's all I used for a number of years.
That and Tri-X.

I probably use too many different types of film now. I have 4 M bodies.
However, I find it extremely difficult to use an M2 or M4-P after an M6. I
really miss the meter. Consequently, I often change film mid-roll. I'm
going to take a look at the M6TTL and may sell my M4-P to buy one.

Dave