Subject: [Leica] Photokina follow-up
From: Jeremy Kime <jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 16:57:51 +0100

LUG members at photokina may remember the chat that alternative viewfinder
systems for r/f cameras were explored by Leica but rejected as zoom systems
took up too much space. Mention was then made of the Canon system of the 50s
which offerred alternative focal lengths via a revolving prism, this was
news to Leica. I sent them a camera to look at to make sure they weren't
missing anything they might have overlooked...

The camera came back 2 days ago with a note from Burkard Kiesel,

========================

Dear Jeremy,

I was very surprised when I found the camera on my desk, Thank you very much
for this creative assistance. Being an engineer I personally examined the
function of the viewfinder.
We have a dedicated optical designer, who also did the optical design for
the Leica M6J and the Leica M 0.85. Years ago when I came to Leica at Solms
I was told that nobody would be able anymore to understand or optimize the
viewfinder of the Leica M camera. All designers were retired or gone already
to heaven (where all Leica people will end up anyway).

But it was the passion of that young man that we have got a very good grip
on that fine piece of optical engineering.

You will imagine how interested the fellow was when he got his hands on that
camera.
Thanks again for the feedback.
I personally enjoyed the meeting in Cologne at the photokina and next time
we should do it again.

Many thanks and regards from Solms,

Burkard Kiesel.

So!
Good news that we're all going to heaven, or is that only employees of
Leica?
What the camera (a Canon Vt) will have added to Leica's knowledge of r/f
viewfinders I'm not sure, but it seems like they're having to re-learn the
past. Who knows where it might lead...

regards,

Jem