Subject: Re: [Leica] Photographing the Meteor Shower
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 4:38 +0100 (BST)

Glen Robinson

>      A major meteor shower is coming in early November.  Is there
any
> possibility of obtaining photographs of it and how can it be done?

Depends where you live, the people I know who're keen to get good
photographs of it are travelling *east* from the UK (to India).

You don't need much kit for this. A tripod, camera with 35mm or 50mm
lens, and a cable release is sufficient. Use 400 ASA film, set the
lens wide open, and use shutter speeds of between 5 and 15 minutes
(depending on how dark the sky is where you are: lots of street
lights = shorter exposure).

A clock drive will make it look a little nicer (IMHO), as the stars
will be rendered as points rather than streaks. I sold my clock drive
years ago during a particularly impecunious period...I really must
buy a new one.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk
David.Morton@openconsulting.co.uk