Subject: [Leica] Binocs -was Photographing birds
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 21:16:38 -0400

On Wed, 21 Oct 1998,  Bud Cook wrote:

>Doug,
>This is a bit off subject but do you use binoculars in your birding
>activities?  I have a pair of Zeiss 8X30's and a pair of Leitz Trinovid
>7X42's.  I'm thinking of replacing the 7X42's with a new pair of either
Zeiss
>or Leica 10X40's.
>
>Do you (or anyone else) have an opinion on this subject?  Zeiss vs. Leica?
>10X40's or keep the 7X42's?
>
>TIA,
>Bud

Bud,

I've been using the same 10x40 Trinovids for 21 years now.  I haven't kept
up with present equipment 'cuz I have no desire to replace the Trinovids.
The minimum focus isn't as good as the Zeiss of the same era but I figure
if the bird's too close to focus the binocs I ought to be using a Telyt
instead.

The 10x40s can be hard to hold steady for some people.  My older kid has
trouble with 7x binocs but the younger one can hold the Trinovids quite
well.  They're not the best for dense woods - I'd use 8x for close
quarters.

I hope this helps

Doug Herr
Sacramento