Subject: [Leica] Leica Spotting
From: Charles <chaslor@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 98 19:59:21 -0400

If this comes as a duplicate to you, I apologize. I haven't seen it on my
digests. It may have been lost in the shuffle during the outage. Thank
you Brian for your commitment and efforts.

I've just returned from nearly 3 weeks in Italy. With my M6 I shot about
30 rolls of Kodachrome, 15 rolls BW, and about 10 color neg. Once I see
all the film and edit I may report on my performance. The camera itself
was flawless. I need another one. Many here have said how few Leicas they
have seen while travelling. I myself was amazed at how many I did see!
Well, I suppose if you compare it to how many cameras I saw, Leicas were
probably less than .0001%. During one day in Florence, I saw around 5-6 M
cameras and 4-5 R cameras. To nearly all I simply said "Nice camera".
They saw mine and often we had a brief exchange. All in all, I would say
I saw around 12-15 people with M's and 8-10 with R's. I also saw the
opposite of the black tape technique. One fellow (I believe he was
German) had what was clearly a black Leica R with RED tape over all the
logos and words on his camera. I saw it from 50 feet away and moved
closer to be sure. It actually made the camera stand out. I suppose only
looneys like us would ever take notice. One of the R users had what
appeared to be a PC lens on his. Has'nt someone out there (maybe Jim)
said this is their favorite combo? I had a great trip and I must say the
M6 with a 35/75 Summilux combo is the best travelling package I have ever
had. Were any of those "nice camera" owners you?

Ciao,

charles