Subject: Re: [Leica] Darkroom questions
From: RBedw51767@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:58:43 EDT

I recently moved into a new home that was under construction for about a year.
One of the major add-ons for me was a darkroom and I am very pleased with it.

I ordered a 4' C.P.M. darkroom sink and stand through my photo dealer and paid
around $300. for both.  It was very easy to install and very easy to keep
clean.  All of the trays fit inside the sink eliminating the possibility of
spills.    I am kind of a neat nut and I especially don't like odors from a
darkroom.   I use soap and water to clean the sink out after each use
eliminating the foul odors.  The darkroom is 12' x 7' making it a very
comfortable size to work in.  I found a 6' kitchen cabinet base unit with
drawers and storage in the bottom for $200.  I purchased a 6' counter top and
it is a perfect size for an enlarger and other related items.  Ask any of your
local kitchen cabinet dealers if they any seconds in their inventory to close
out.  They can furnish the counter-top as well.

Also, I might suggest that you be very particular with the exhause fan that
you choose.  I despise the noise of a fan and I have found that the ones that
are sold
in Home Depot are the bathroom vent fans type.  Panasonic makes an exhaust fan
that is very quiet.  I highly recommend it.  It is probably $50 higher than
the noisy ones.  In my opinion, worth every penny of it.

As for ventilation I suggest that you mount your exhaust fan near your
chemical area and have an intake vent on the opposite side.  This will help
create an environment that is cleaner, less odor and reduce the possibility of
causing a personal chemical reaction.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you in anyway.

Bob Bedwell

 Boy, am I glad the LUG is back!

 I'm planning a small darkroom and would like some feedback.  A friend, a
 retired engineer, is helping, who has develped and printed film since his
 teens, tho not as a professional or an artist.  He recommends:

 1. a laundry sink with a counter to the side for the trays.  This an
 economical approach, a regular darkroom sink costs 3 to 4 times as much.
 Is it worth the difference?

 2. a bathroom exhaust fan from Home Depot for ventilation.  (The room is
 just under 9' X 6' and we can vent to the outside.)  Is it necessary to
 have a fresh air intake as well?

 Othere consideration:

 Keeping chemicals at a constant temp without a regulator on the faucet.

 We picked up my V35 from Leica yesterday and it looks great!  The
 autofocus seems to be working fine.