Subject: Re: [Leica] Light levels in cathedrals etc
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 19:03:53 -0000

jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick) wrote:

>In England during September, I photographed inside the Tower of
London
>(Crown Jewels), Westminster Abby (Diana's table & candle and the rest
of
>the place), and many rooms at Windsor Castle. All were at 1/30 @
f/1.4,
>sometimes f/2. Only the really really dark places required 1/15th
sec. Fuji
>100/1000 at EI 200. Generally speaking, the slides were OK. None too
dark.
>Some overexposed.

Hmm, seems you were getting more light than I was!  1/30 @ f1.4 would
have saved the day for me on a number of occasions, but many scenes
would have needed much more. However, for my holiday I had grey and
overcast skies all week to the amount of light available to stream
thru museum windows and stained-glass windows was limited.

Another problem was that my SL2 meter and hand-held meter were
disagreeing by up to a stop outdoors and two stops indoors. I decided
to trust the SL2, but late in the holiday switched to using the
hand-held meter (reasoning that it was more likely to be correct since
it's much younger). The hand-held was always suggesting shorter
exposures than the SL2 meter, so it's possible that there was more
light than I realised. When the Kodachromes come back, I'll see which
meter was telling the truth!

Regards,

Doug Richardson