Subject: Re: [Leica] APO-Extender-R advice
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:46:24 -0700

I have both the 1.4x and 2x APO extenders. I have used both with a 280/2.8
(when I had it) and I can state unequivocally that you cannot tell that the
extender has been used. I currently use the 2x APO with my 180/2.8 and my
350/4.8 and the results are absolutely outstanding. I also use my 1.4x with
my 180/2.8 with equal results. The only lens that doesn't seem to get
along, super well, with the 2x extender is the 100/2.8 APO Macro. I
photographed at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs, strong side
light, and the 100/2.8 slides looked like they were cut by a razor blade.
The slides using the 2x APO extender were good, but I could tell that it
wasn't the raw 100/2.8 that took them. Actually, had I not seen the slides
taken with the raw 100/2.8 first, I would never have noticed that the
extender slightly degraded the image.

Jim