Subject: Re: [Leica] Q: lens selection for portraits
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 21:13:00 -0700

Joe Stephenson wrote:

>Dear Andrew,
>The best protrait lens is a matter if taste--yours and the subjects. I
>don't feel that there are any definite rules. Just good taste.>>>>>>

Hi guys,

I thought I'd throw this in seeing we are talking portraiture and what lens
choice.

My son who is a professional photographer living in Ottawa, Canada has been
using a 400 2.8 to shoot out door portraits this past summer months. The
first one he did for the hell of it because the subject said they didn't
want him to be too close with those lenses.

So he used his 400 2.8 on a monopod and wasn't close! :) The results were
great and so he started shooting his subjects when he could outdoors and
has some mind blowing results.  He also works wide open or very close to
that, gives him great separation of subject from background as the bkgd
goes completely into a mush of colour.

Just thought you might like to know, that as Joe said...

""The best portrait lens is a matter if taste. I don't feel that there are
any definite rules."""""

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant