Subject: [Leica] Q: lens selection for portraits
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 13:34:35 -0400 (EDT)

Having never done much in the way of portraits before, I'd like some
suggestions on lens and film selection before I do a shoot as a favor
to some friends this weekend.  They want enlargements to 8x10 for
individual portraits and even larger for group shots.  I have the
following available:

- - M6
- - latest 35/2 and 50/2 Summicrons
- - screw mount 90/4 Elmar
- - screw mount 50/2 Summar
- - whatever I might find at a photo show in Boston this weekend!

(oh yeah, and a 50/1.8 Serenar that I haven't worked with much!)
I'll be using natural early morning sunlight, outdoors, shooting
in both B&W and color.

I thought the Summicrons might be "too sharp" for this sort of work,
but at those enlargment sizes, this may not be the case.  True?  I
like the results I've had from the Elmar, but that was for much
smaller prints.

Any thoughts?

Andrew