Subject: [Leica] Nudes
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 02:16:55 -0400

Francesco,

I like nudes. Many of us do nudes. Some better than others. I once saw a
page of photos that Erwin did that, in the magnificent complexity and
sophistication of his lighting, would put us all to shame
(http://www.imx.nl/photosite/portfolio/epu/epu.html). I am in awe of
Jock Sturges nudes. Robert Farber does some nice work but doesn't thrill
me. Ralph Gibson amazes me with his consistent clarity of vision and
stylistic mastery. Take a look at his book "Infanta" for some examples
of his nudes. Even Cartier-Bresson has some nudes that fit well within
his ironic surrealism.

I think I can generally speak for the group that most of us are about
photography. We value and appreciate beauty and technical mastery and
individual style. Preferably as done with Leica equipment.

What Mr. Hughes did was "dis" the group with his blanket statement that
he is the only true demi-god of photography because he uses an M2 and a
Nikon F and 8x10 cameras.

To further add to his pomposity he uses phrases like: "Why don't you
"seasoned world class professionals" (i.e., stock shooters, hack pros,
well-heeled dabblers, etc.), take a look at my photos before you..." OK.
I'll look. But it better be good. Damn good. It's a start but it ain't
there. Yet. On top of which I don't need Mr. Hughes solipsistic
ramblings about his inner vision and his gift of seeing and the personal
explorations and so on. This is art talk crap. Let the critics do that
when they review his work.

As for your work, those that I have seen on the free pages that you
allow us to link to, are beautiful. You have a knack. Especially with
your use of light. You surprise me sometimes with your questions about
metering and lenses and so on because you really seem to have an
intuitive grasp of what you're doing. And I mean that positively. You
also have a knack for finding beautiful women and having them pose in
ways that exemplify that beauty. Arranging people in space is one of the
hardest things to do in photography; and make it look natural. Don't get
defensive because the LUG is slamming this guy. It's definitely not
about his subjects being nudes.

Carl Socolow