Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 in Cold Weather
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 17:10:48 -0600

>	1)  At sub zero temp., I imagine the metal body around the viewfinder
will be
>fairly cold when I press camera against my face for framing and focusing.
>I've taped my F5 and Hassy with bandage tapes while climbing and camping
above
>12,000 feet at around -10 degree F in the past.  I was wondering if anyone
has
>any suggestion or experiences to share with.

Howard,
We had fifty cm (yes 50) of fresh snow here a few days ago, so I know about
winter shooting.  I was out yesterday using Tech Pan at EI 15 handheld
outdoors with speed of 1/125 and apertures of between 4 and 5.6 using an
orange filter on an M6 to slow it down a bit, so I could shoot closer to
wide open.
   No real problem with the cold metal as long as you don't lick it or kiss
it!  I find that I can still look through the viewfinder with the camera
slightly away from my face, so it isn't touching it.  I have never found
taping around the viewfinder necessary, in temperatures as low as -40 (on
either F or C scales).

 _
[o] -GH