Subject: Re: [Leica] TID>Ernst Hass
From: jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:32:38 -0700

This is the wonderful thing about photography. Each and every photographer
has their own unique vision. Their own likes. Their own dislikes. There is
something inside each of us that tells us "yeah, that's really good stuff"
or "nah... that's not for me." And it's different in each person.

I happen to really like Ernst Hass' work. My wife doesn't. I like peeling
paint, old barns, fence rows, etc. and I know Ted doesn't. At least he
jokes about us folks that like peeling paint... :)  :)  :)

I looked at Peter Hughes (Raven Visionary Arts) site and basically did not
like, at all, what I saw. To me, this is not photography. But to some
people, "this is where it's at", so this is what makes the world of
photography so interesting. We all love the equipment and the process, but
our desires and expectations are worlds apart.

So no one person has the answer. No one person can define photography. No
one person can define the correct way to pursue it.

Jim

At 10:57 AM 10/13/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I guess it only goes to show what a shallow person I am because I was
>looking again at Haas' work (yesterday) and I'm still not impressed with
>it.  It appears to me to be just gimmicky stuff using slow shutter
>speeds.
>
>Please don't berate me for my lack of taste.  I'm doing my best to
>understand what others see in the likes of Haydn or a lot of Mozart.  On
>the other hand, I should get credit for my passion for Monet, preference
>for chess over checkers and some other signs of some maturity:-)
>
>Bud
>
>Gwpics@aol.com wrote:
>
>> If you ever doubt the veracity of colour used in a Leica just look at the
>> wonderful work of Ernst Haas - he is an insperation to all of us b&w
>> photographers who think colour is a waste of time.
>>
>> Gerry

http://www.photoaccess.com
Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA
Photo Access