Subject: Re: [Leica] strobe vs. natural light
From: Jim Hurtubise <jim@inap.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:01:37 +0100

First off, I almost never use flash myself. For most subjects I do not want to
use a flash, but for those times when the scene may have benefitted from flash
I have not been able to do it well. Even when I used TTL on my F3 (I use an M6
now) I could not do it well. That is why I greatly respect those photographers
who can use it WELL when the situation calls for additional light. An example
of this would be a photograph where you marvel at the light and detail and
wonder how it was done, but it is not obvious that a strobe was used. I am not
talking about the type of picture where you just blast away and end up with
even illumination on just about everything. One image I have in mind is of the
mother bathing her deformed child in Gene Smith's Minamata series. If I
remember correctly, he used a strobe bounced off the floor or wall to
compliment the existing light coming in a window. Now Gene Smith was a
brilliant printer. I have seen his prints in person, including the one
mentioned above, and they are among the most beautiful I have ever seen, so
maybe he was able to work his magic in the darkroom and create the effect of
completely natural light. I guess my point is that great photographs are
created. They are created in the mind, in the camera, with natural light,
artificial light, available light (if a flash is available I guess it can be
considered available light), in the darkroom, and even on the computer. I
absolutely love using my M6, I should not feel that I am limited to a certain
type of photography because of this. I should only be limited by my own
abilities. So, I would like to hear from those who feel the M cameras should
only be used one way, au natural. Would you dismiss Smith's Minamata photo,
and many more of his, because he supplemented the existing lighting? And just
how far can a photojournalist go in manipulating a photo to convey a certain
mood or emotion. Finally, I would like to comment that experience and success
with one type of photography should not lead to a closed mind. We all are
constantly learning and building upon our base of  knowledge and the LUG is a
wonderful place for this. I feel all opinions should be valued here and no one
should be belittled or insulted for thinking a certain way. But there is
nothing wrong with trying to bring them around to your way of thinking :-).

Regards,
Jim Hurtubise