Subject: Re: [Leica] Insurance
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 15:36:43 +0200

On 11-10-1998 08:13 Nathan Wajsman wrote:

>Does anyone have the insurance that you
>can get through the Leica Card programme?

Nathan:

we can talk about this tomorrow over lunchtime (meeting of the Belgian
LUGgers), but I have the folder from Agrippina insurance that can be
obtained from the Leica Card service department.

There are 2 insurance schemes proposed:

- - Leica Card coupon 1
All photo equipment can be insured at a cost of 4% of the value.

- - LeicaCard coupon 2
Only for Leica equipment. But here there is a maximum of 10,000 DEM that
will be repaid in case of trouble (which is not much in my opinion, an R8
+ 70-180/2.8 cost already substantially more than that!).
You have the choice between either paying 285 DEM for a 5,000 DEM
maximum, or 520 DEM for a 10,000 DEM maximum.
You said you were offered a 6% cost (30,000 BEF) for 500,000 BEF (=
23,800 DEM). In the Leica Card scheme coupon 2, you would pay 5.2% which
is less that what you have been offered, but on the other hand I feel the
insured sum is way too low for someone who has a comprehensive Leica
equipment.

So, in any case you would pay less with Agrippina that what you have been
offered. The choice between the two schemes will depend on the value of
your equipment. If it is less than 10,000 DEM, the second scheme would be
best. If not, the first one will cost less.

Agrippina also offers an insurance for non-Leica Card members, but then
you pay more: 6.9% worlwide and 4.6% for Europe, USA and Canada only.
Compare to that, the offer you have been made seems reasonable if it is
valid worldwide.

This being said, I have send in the LeicaCard coupon 1 already last June,
but am still awaiting any kind of response of Agrippina or the Leica Card
service center on this... Maybe they only want to offer the insurance to
German Leica Card members, and not to other EU citizens. Speaking of
global thinking...

Hope this helps.

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch