Subject: Re: SV: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #358
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 1998 20:23:14 -0500

At 11:59 PM 10/9/98 +0000, you wrote:

>Let me address the last first. Adobe does wonders, but it can't 100%
>correct a poor assumption or use of light, or light sources. Speaking in
>photojourn terms, in which a great many assignments are inside, lit by
>fluorescence, or tungsten, or even a variety of both, a good bounce of
>strobe is necessary since you are not dealing with any aesthetic qualities

What makes you say that? With negative film, I don't necessarily need
strobe. And if I do use strobe, the best thing to do is put a green gel on
the strobe if shooting in florescent light, or better yet a green gel on
the flash, and a magenta gel on the lens. But then mix daylight into it and
Photoshop and the history brush are about the only way to get it right.
Photoshop and negative film can do just fine without flash much of the
time. Depending on light level of course.

David Allen Harvey shoots Kodachrome 200 in florescent light pushed to 500.
The magenta cast pretty much corrects for the green. He got into Magnum. So
he knows what he's doing.

There are as many photographers as there are solutions to any photographic
challenge. Ted does it his way, and being such an award winning
photographer, respected throughout the world, that says a lot about the way
he does things. He's not speaking ex-cathedra. He's just a passionate guy.

As for color or black and white being hard or difficult, well, some people
can't see color for diddly. They are better off with black and white. But I
find black and white much harder to do with a dye-sub printer. :-)
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot