Subject: Re: [Leica] Laser surgery
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 08:00:39 -0700

Myron wrote:

>Ted, I fully agree with you. The risk is extremely MINIMAL. I allowed my dhtr
>to have it in april ( she was -9.50 D OU) and is now 20/20 in left & 20/25 in
>rt. I, of course , picked the Ophth. He is one of the best corneal men in this
>area.
> Dont always believe TV. They go for the bad parts of the story, for the
>sensationalism, not for what is true. If it is bad the FDA would NOT give its
>approval.>>>>>>>

Hi Myron,

Thanks for the back-up. It always ticks me off when someone bangs the
medical profession due to some sensationalist tv programme using the
negative side of a story.

TV has it's great moments, unfortunately all too often some dim witted
producer gets a tiny bit of information and turns it into a travesty of
nonsense without giving both sides equal airtime.  Therefore influencing
our fellow Leica lug member to read it's a bigger disaster to have eye
laser surgery than to have it.

In particular for someone to come on line after watching a tv programme and
give advice to a fellow lugger _____not to have eye laser surgery____  due
to the onesided facts presented.

I realize the intensions of the posting to Jay were meant in all good faith
to caution a fellow lugger, but in reality it wasn't made clear how many
thousands of people now have perfect eyesight after laser surgery.

Just as in heart transplants, sometimes the patient doesn't make it, does
that mean we should stop doing them? Considering how many have been given a
new life and gone on to do great things.

But a tv programme pointing out how many people died due to the operation
would almost make having the operation null and void.

My wife had both eyes done, and now sees better than I do. When I say to
her  "Hey dear look through here, (the view finder of an M or R camera) she
now can see what I'm excited about.

Or on the other hand will make a little comment.......  " I think maybe you
better check the focus!" :) Then she smiles!:)

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant