Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica-Users List Digest V3 #353
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 23:07:28 -0400

At 08:57 PM 1998-10-07 -0500, Jim Licquia wrote:
>today I bought an old M4 , serial 1214XXX, at the top engraved "DBP" Does
>anyone know the meaning of this ?

"Definitely Broken Parts".  This was a hallowed Leitz tradition, carried
over from the Swiss watchmakers under whom Ernst Leitz I studied.  All
cameras which were incapable of working were so marked and were intended
for destruction.

Unfortunately, a cabal of Lapp recidivists working in the Leitz factory
managed to steal a number of such cameras on the loading-dock whence they
were to be shipped to their doom, and sold them for the kopeks they could
thus garner, and the more evil to them.  And, so, we occasionally find
otherwise honourable Leitz cameras defaced with this evil sigil, "DBP".

Of course, collectors, having neither morals nor brains, love these guys
due to their rarity.  The Melbourne Opera House Auction in Australia
recently experienced a new high, when a "DBP" marked Leica M-P sold for
over $AUS 94,000.

All of us owning Leica gear should examine our holdings.  Gear marked "DRP"
MIGHT be worth a bit more than we had previously thought!

In my next installment, I will discuss the even more arcane, older, and
rarer marking, "DRGM" , which stood for "Does Really [Need] General
Maintenance" and, as always, there is a tale here as to why the third Ernst
Leitz' nephew cousin bracketed the [Need].  But more of this later and, in
the interim, those having cameras so marked should immediately try to sell
them, as they are the dishonoured orphans of Wetzlar.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!