Subject: Re: [Leica] Tele-Elmarits
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 14:41:55 EDT

I own both the earlier (chrome, heavier) version and the later (black,
thinner) version, as well as a current-version90 2.8 Elmarit-M, which I
purchased used in mint condition for about USD$100 more than the
late-model Tele-Elmarit.  From a purely optical standpoint, I'd have to
say "get the Elmarit (current)" especially if you're expecting to shoot
it a lot at 2.8 where it way outperforms the earlier versions.  It is
larger in all respects than the Tele-Elmarits, but not tremendously so.
There have also been horror stories circulating regarding eventual and
irrepairable clouding of the rear lens element group in the Tele-Elmarit,
but neither of mine (1964 and 1974 versions) have yet to show any of
this.

Regards,
Nigel

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:04:46 +0100  Martin Davidson
<martin.davidson@bbc.co.uk> writes:
>Apologies if this has been thrashed to death before.  I am looking to
>add a
>fourth lens to my M6 (I have the 28 Elmarit, the 35 Asph summicron,
>and a 50
>summicron).  Having been thrilled by the asph performance of the 35, I
>was
>saving and waiting (and saving and saving) for the new 90 f/2 asph --
>but am
>worried about its size and weight.  By chance I came across (and
>rather fell
>in love with) an old Canadian tele-elmarit -- at around 500 UK pounds
>(seems
>the going rate in the UK), half the price (at least) of the new asph,
>but a
>lot to pay for a lens that (for all I know) may now be regarded as
>rather
>obsolete.  In short, I am fishing for a few user-experiences of this
>lens,
>for which I would be very grateful.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]