Subject: [Leica] Cruising for snaps on Langkawi
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:09:19 -0700

Ian Stanley wrote:
>     While the majority of you were designing shutter locks, deciding whether
>to leave your cameras set on B or to shoot an extra frame, deciding whether
>to use filter or not, debating various lenses, deciding if tape should be
>placed over various cameras parts as well as what type of tape, etc I have
>been out exploring my new neighbourhood and cruising for snaps.>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Ian,

Your travels this year sound great!  Right off the top let me wish you safe
journey to home in Nepal, complete with many fine images while walking the
downs. (the ups?) :)

Your right about "up to get to the downs".  I could never understand why
the area was called the downs either, the saving grace is to be carrying
Leica's and not one of those monster sized wooden box cameras fit for a
bird house.:)  Just kidding you guys who lug all that big stuff around. :)

Before you plan next year's travel you might consider this for time in May
or June of '99. And it's sort of in your neck of the planet.

While in Kuala Lumpur last month I flew to the Malaysian duty free island
of  Langkawi where the shooting venue was located, it's near the Thai
border. An absolute photographers paradise!  Incredible beaches, fishermen
in long boats, the most fabulous scenery, weather, outer islands and
people. Old buildings, "like really old buildings" the kind you'd kill for
in doing fine art photography.

So I initiated a ___ Leica photo tour ___ (hell anyone can come):) with the
Malaysian government to "escort a dozen photographers only" for a shoot. A
few days in Kuala Lumpur, then a week on Langkawi. This is investigative at
the moment to see if there is enough interest. Don't know about you guys,
but I'm sure as hell going! :)

So maybe we can meet on your side of the world for a change.:)

The bonus is, it is a duty free area and I'm trying to establish that Leica
gear might be bought duty free through the Leica distributor for Malaysia.
(It may not make any difference in price)  Now, I said I was looking into
it, not that it will happen. And guys, please don't start knee jerking
about "gray market stuff!"

At the moment we are fine tuning it to include the finest of accommodation,
food, flight costs at a minimum. (I pleaded that photographers don't have
any money, therefore they need major break in costs) :)  Like the "Field of
Dreams" make the price right and "they will come" :) Most importantly an E6
line so film can be processed daily allowing for critique and seeing your
stuff as the shoot proceeds.

So keep a couple of weeks open in case we pull this off. Tina Manly is
already on, so at the moment 11 more bodies and it could be a LUG shoot out
on "paradise island!" :)  This place is so incredible I wouldn't consider
going with less than a hundred rolls of film minimum! (maybe an extra
hundred for back-up)

Think about it, as I'm going even if there isn't anyone else! :)

Continued safe journey home.

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant