Subject: Re: [Leica] Entry Level Leica SLR Wanted
From: "ray tai" <jeslam88@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 21:12:41 PDT

Leica is the king when comes to the rangefinder, and nothing except
second hand Leicas can complete, not even the G2 (which I own) or the
like.  I own and use seven M cameras with a range of lenses from pre-war
Elmars to Canon LTMs to ASPH super fast lenses.  Nothing is better from
21mm to 90mm on an M Leica, period.  Even if the Yasuhara were to
incorporate an M mount, it would only serve to boost lens sales as an
entry level camera to the Leica line, and will not influence M camera
body sales.   I believe the point of using Leicas is the "feel" of the M
body.  The unsurpassed quality of the lenses is the icing on the cake.
I for one is very happy using my 50/3.5 Elmar on the M6HM.  When my
35/1.4 ASPH Ti becomes too heavy to carry, the Canon LTM will do fine
for simply snapshots.  By the way Leica lenses are not overpriced.

I don't know if the same can be said about Leica R.  I am currently
using the N brand and am ready for the surperb line of R lenses but R
bodies are not ready for me.  I checked out the R6.2 at my local dealer
and like one Lugger said, the mirror is not that well damped.  I like
the R8 but it is huge for what basically is a manual advance, automatic
aperture camera.

If Leica was to release an all manual entry level camera the size of an
Olympus OM4 for under US$800, I will be the first to buy it along with
the 100/2.8 APO.  I will even wait the two years for the winder.  And
don't bother with responses regarding used SLRs.  This is 1998 and I
want a 1998 camera.  Leica can take the traditional path with their
rangefinders (wihich I insist) but the SLR market is different.  My
needs regarding SLRs are different.  Thanks for bearing with me.