Subject: Re: [Leica] Nikon spare parts
From: Ken Iisaka <kiisaka@ms.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 08:31:45 +0900

richard.setchim@uk.pwcglobal.com wrote:

> N.B.Watson wrote: << I'll have to stand by my original statement.  Nikon
> *USA* state emphatically that parts are no longer available for F or F2.>>
>
> I was told the same thing by the Nikon Service Centre in Shinjuku (Tokyo),
> when trying to get an F2 adjusted. (This is the service HQ for Nikon). They
> then went on to strip down the camera, find that no replacement part was
> needed and made the adjustment needed without charge and while I waited!

It is quite true that Nikon does not have every part that exists for
no-longer-in-production professional bodies.  For example, Nikon does not
service the viewfinders for F and F2.  However, they do have a number of
shutter units, winding mechanism (I had my F2's winding mechanism replaced last
year) and even reflex mirrors and exterior components.  So, the situation is
that, yes, Nikon does have certain parts, and can replace worn or broken parts
if available.  Nikon has even go as far as remanufacturing certain parts such
as the rangefinder prism.  Now, try that with the M3 prisms, Leica!!! :)

Yes, I'm off to Shinjuku today to pick up an overhauled F3HP and Auto Nikkor-H
50mm 1:2.  It's an amazing place.  As Richard said, they will check over your
Nikon products and make small adjustments for free while you wait.

To keep this posting in topic, my M3 whose rangefinder prism separated, was
finally fixed.  Does anyone want a Wetzlar M6 in EX+ condition?  Oops, it's not
Friday yet.