Subject: Re: [Leica] Vacation Advice
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 00:01:17 -0400

At 17:57 -0500 05/12/98, Tina Manley wrote:
[ . . . ]
> What do you know about Eastern Europe at Christmas?  Will it be
>too dark, dreary, and polluted or can we look forward to snow, picturesque
>villages, and Christmas traditions?  Does anybody know any contacts for
>renting a house in the Czech Republic or Poland or Hungary?  I would like
>people pictures, my children would like to ski, and my husband would like
>quiet.   Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks In Advance!
>
>Tina
	Allo Tina,

	1 / I've never been there but this sounds a lot like Sarajevo.
	I read they have gotten their act back together since
	their civil war / ethnic war and prices should be within
	reach. Restoring the olympic skiing center was a high
	priority.
	2 / I'm told that Prague would be the ultimate one city
	tour in former Eastern Europe. Could be an ISO 400
	situation at the darkest time of the year, though,
	for much of the days at that time of year.
	3/ Croatia is right next to Austria. If alpine skiing
	is a priority, this certainly would fill the bill where the
	north-west part of the country is concerned . . .
	Zagreb should be a wonderful place to visit.
	4/ One totally different solution would be to travel
	to British Columbia (Whistler) or Alberta [Banff],
	ski would be no problem, language neither, and
	all people i know who have been there rave about the
	place and say the people are real friendly and open.
	And, photo wise, landscapes abound . . .
	5/ The "other place" is here in Quebec.      ;+>)
	Our language is different. If skiing is a priority,
	you get to choose among tens of cities.
	The ones that come to mind are
	- the Magog area (bilingual, major ski centers minutes away,
	<30 miles from US border, one hour East from Montreal,
	good places for entertainment, excellent scenic areas)
	- the Laurentians (basically bilingual, very organized,
	touristic even, has become sort of a suburb for
	many who work in Montreal, numerous excellent ski
	centers, St Sauveur and Mont Tremblant especially.
	Scenery. Year round trippy area. About one hour
	North from Montreal ).
	- the Quebec city area (mostly French speaking,
	about 1/2 the people understand English enough to help you
	should the need arise, many beautiful ski areas,
	lots of photo ops in the city and the surrounding
	region ( i love the early morning walks in the older
	walled portion of the city, on Saturday and Sunday
	especially) ; though rather low light
	when cloudy in December , it's a 24/7 photographer's delight,
	when sunny in December it's very contrasty with
	low angled sun ; people contact is easier than in Montreal ;
	if you enjoy occasional fine restaurants it's tops with
	hundreds to choose from, at least 25 world class ;
	numerous activities if the weather thaws ;
	shopping is tops especially at that time of year.
	Though i don't really know how you should go about it,
	renting a house should be manageable ;
	to me dream areas would be the Cote de Beaupre
	(area along the St Lawrence that leads to Mont Ste-Anne
	ski resort, numerous centenary houses, though i'd
	be surprised you can rent one easily)
	then the Haute-Ville (Quebec is a two level city)
	which would be closer to other than skiing activities
	and loads of photo ops depending on personal preferences ;
	the area in the walled portion of the city is
	a wall-to-wall photo op where i'm concerned.
	There also are many concerts at that time of year
	if you enjoy live music, classical and others
	(Les Violons du Roi is an excellent orchestra you might
	check into).
	It's so festive there that the people have come up
	with something called Operation Nez Rouge [ Red Nose . . . ]
	to get partying people safely home [ i prefer non alcohol ! ] . . .
	I simply have no idea how you should proceed
	to rent a house there.
	I especially enjoy having coffee at the Krieger resto,
	for ambiance, a simple place many like, + Nourcy for pastries.
	If you're into Sunday morning brunching,
	there are truly numerous places to choose from.
	Direct jet service from Boston / Ottawa / Toronto,
	not sure if direct from New York ; easy usually.
	Perhaps asking Communications Quebec would help:
	1-800-363-1363
	Tourisme Quebec is 1-800-363-7777
	You can also e-mail me and i'll try to help
	 [megamax@abacom.com OR andrequintal@mailcity.com ],
	if you have more specific questions.
	Although it may feel odd to them at first,
	the people who do a classical Radio-Canada Culturel morning
	radio program," Les matins de Sophie ",
	right from the old Palais Montcalm,
	might have the right contacts to get you started
	on a voyage i hope will be pleasant altogether ;
	their e-mail address is :
	bonheurs@quebec.radio-canada.ca
	and the speakerine is Sophie Magnan. (Could be "bonheur"
	without a 's'.)
	If you are lucky, you might get invited for a family
	Christmas Eve "Reveillon" and, depending on families,
	this could be quite a memory for all.
	Henri Leclerc Camera would probably be
	the 'classic' Leica place (Mr Leclerc himself sold me my
	first camera ; deceased now ) .
	Finally, our currency is so low now, you get everything
	1/3 to 1/2 off.
	All the Best !
	Andre Jean Quintal

	PS: I hope this proves useful to others on the list.

"He looked like lightning,
his robe was white as snow" . . .
Matth 28 : 3

ICQ 166 066 16