Subject: [Leica] Millenium bug
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 98 18:37:30 -0700

G'day BD

@@@@@@@@@@@@@
This thread and some others lately provide perfect illustration of why so
few working pros now use M cameras
@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I'm not sure this is true. The more I read about working pro's, the more
use M series cameras for specific jobs. I cannot imagine that the M would
have survived on amateur use for the last 20 years. The high profile pro's
at sports events, and in politics are Canikon users, but many others
especially out on the street seem to still us M cameras. Why some here have
even told me that many local pro's still keep a Rollei TLR in the bag as
back up for most weddings. Leica have been selling mechanical conservative
M cameras to a dedicated following for years, and it is perhaps wise to be
slow to change. I do agree that the addition of TTL seems a bit half baked,
but the explanation from the company may well be true. The M users are low
light users, and although they would like to add in fill flash they do not
require high sync speeds. Time will tell.

Cheers

Alastair Firkin,