Subject: Re: [Leica] M6TTL & M6 with flash.
From: nbwatson@juno.com (N. B. Watson)
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 1998 20:53:59 EDT

Basically, TTL flash has the same advantage as TTL ambient metering.  The
M6TTL with TTL flash would be of great advantage to anyone using the
Visoflex system for macrophotography.  It would also be more accurate
with longer lenses, as the auto flash sensor on most strobes reads a
wider angle of coverage.  For the same reason, it would give better
exposure to subjects of markedly different reflectance than the
background.   The biggest difference between TTL metering and TTL flash
is that TTL flash will give inaccurate readings for such a subject if it
is off-centre.  Because it reads at the moment of exposure there's no way
to lock-in an off-centre reading as with the TTL ambient meter.  For this
case, only a flash meter and a manual setting gives an accurate result.
TTL flash also allows accurate readings with the flash off-camera on a
cord (or in some cases, wireless).  The only non-TTL-auto flash I'm aware
of that does that are the Vivtar 283/285 which have removable sensors
that re-mount on a cord...and they are large and look rather silly up top
of a Leica. That's the long, nitpicking answer. The short answer is, with
shorter lenses and average subjects, you won't be able to spot a TTL shot
from an auto-flash shot.

Regards,
Nigel

On Mon, 05 Oct 1998 16:14:04 -0700 jimbrick@photoaccess.com (Jim Brick)
writes:
>LUG,
>
>Can anyone out there tell me exactly what the advantage of the Leica
>M6TTL
>with appropriate flash has over a standard M6 with an auto flash? I
>have a
>small Sunpack flash that is automatic (within itself), has two
>different
>f/stop selections, and has manual with variable power. The head will
>also
>point in any and every direction.
>
>So other than automatically taking into consideration things like
>conversion filters, and that the camera meter sees the actual framed
>subject, I cannot see any big advantage between the camera metering
>the
>flash, or the flash metering the flash. I remember my Sunpack has
>always
>been dead-on. And the rest of the camera is (almost) the same. Same
>sync
>speed (1/50th).
>
>Don't ask me the Sunpack model number as my son (in Sacramento) has it
>now.
>
>Had I been in charge, I would have waited and brought out an M7E, with
>TTL
>flash and a high sync speed electronic shutter, and fill ratio
>capability.
>And continued the M6 classic as they currently continue the R6.2 .
>Upgrades
>to the mechanical M6, like the mechanical R6, would be M6.2, like the
>R6.2,
>etc.
>
>There are people who would really like an electronic M camera. If it's
>good
>enough for the R line, why isn't it good enough for the M line?
>
>Jim
>
>Jim Brick
>(650) 470-1132
>
>http://www.photoaccess.com

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]